Monday, November 7, 2011

G-Tube Switch Out...

Much excitement came with Nathan getting his AMT Mini One Balloon Button back in August.

But there was one thing I was dreading...

The responsibility of changing it every three months, by myself, at home. I became a pro at the NG tube and that didn't phase me a bit. This seemed different to me because of the fact there would be an open hole in  Nathan's tummy. I realized that it would be a "healed" tract from the outside directly into his stomach, but some part of me couldn't shake the thought of his insides falling out once I removed his old tube. Impossible I know, but I couldn't help but think of it. Ridiculous me.

Thanks to my dear friend Katie, Nathan's tube switch out was a breeze today. It was done and over with in less than a minute! Nathan cried a bit when I pulled out his old tube, the balloon deflated a bit unevenly and there was a slight resistance when I took it out. I don't know what, if anything, I could do differently next time to help make that easier. It wasn't horrible, keep in mind. I waited for Nathan to calm down so that his stomach muscles would relax enough to allow me to easily slide the new tube in. In it went and I inflated the balloon with saline and we were all finished! I feel confident that the next go round I could even do it alone with Nathan.

Thanks again Katie for getting excited about things like this and being so willing to offer your assistance! 

Our sweet boy makes us prouder and prouder every day! I am amazed at how tough he is!

1 comment: