Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Angie's Visit & A Visit From An Angel...

Nathan's home health nurse, Angie, with Kidz Kare at Home, came by this afternoon. By the way, she is amazingly wonderful. :o) Nathan has gained 6 ounces in the last 5 days... AMAZING!!! :o) I had the lovely pleasure of removing Nathan's old NG tube so we could switch sides to give his cheek a break from all of the tape. I told Angie, that I want to do as much as I can myself, so that I will be comfortable handling this NG tube 100%. Surprisingly, after the tape was removed, his cheek was just as beautiful as it always was, a bit red, but that faded in a matter of hours. Angie, put the new NG tube in on the other side explaining everything along the way. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but it wasn't the worst either (for me, at least). Nathan did cry, but he sat there and took it like a big boy, I didn't have to hold him with the super mommy grip, that I was preparing myself for. After the new NG tube was in and taped, Nathan calmed down and went back to business as usual... playing and dancing to Mickey Mouse. :o)


Mark and I were hoping for the possibility of leaving the NG tube out, but Angie explained that even if Nathan eats 2 jars of pears during the day, he still needs all of the nutrients from his 32 ounces of EleCare right now. She said that it's important for Nathan to gain weight, so that once the tube comes out for good, he will have some extra weight on him in case he happens to drop of few ounces then. That makes sense to us, so we will keep on doing what we are doing. So, if Nathan drinks 30 ounces in one day, that's great and exciting, but we will need to give him the remaining 2 through his tube. We are on board with this way of thinking now, because we want to do all that we can to help Nathan out with gaining weight.

Nathan's new NG tube:


Earlier today, I surprised my dad, (Nathan's GP) with a visit at his work. We went out to lunch at Jason's Deli... yumm! As we were leaving dad was carrying Nathan out and I was behind them. A man I will never forget wearing a blue button down shirt and khaki pants stopped me. He said, "Can I pray for your son?" I said yes, thinking he would just turn around and pray for him. The man asked what Nathan's name was and I told him, "Nathan". I gave him a 15 second run down on why Nathan had a feeding tube. The man then turned and followed my dad outside, and I was right behind him. I called out to my dad so that he would turn around. The man never sad his name, just that he wanted to pray for Nathan. He put his hand on Nathan's back as my dad held him and prayed. I have never been so touched by a stranger in my life. We thanked him graciously, but probably not as graciously as he deserved, and as quickly as the man came he left. I can't believe the kindness that was shown, as most people tend to just look and stare at Nathan and his NG tube when we go out. Yet, here was a man I didn't even notice looking our way during our entire lunch, and he wanted to pray for Nathan and for him to get better. I am convinced that there are angels that walk this Earth every day, and I am convinced that we met one today.

6 comments:

  1. The story about the man praying made me cry. I'm trying to decide if I should watch the video of that song you sent me this morning while I'm at... why not right? I've already got the tears streaming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me cry! I'm so glad you had such a great day. And a big "Go Nathan" for being such a trooper with his NG tube:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't mean to make you cry, but I don't blame you... I had tears in my eyes as the man walked away, and I had tears in my eyes writing this post. It's comforting to know that there are such thoughtful people still around in this crazy world of that we live in. I am thankful to be blessed with such an amazing son, that allowed me to see the kindness in a total stranger and feel God's presence surrounding us this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, this was a moment I will never forget...
    God is great!
    Love you guys Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. What awesome encouragement!
    Hebrews 13:5 I will never leave you nor forsake you.

    God walks with us... He scoops us up in His arms or simply sits with us in silent strength until we cannot avoid the awesome recognition that yes, even now, He is there.
    Quote from Gloria Gaither

    Love, Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across this by mistake. However, I'm glad that I did. Sending prayers and positive energy to your beautiful son and family. Vanessa

    ReplyDelete