Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Double-edged Sword...

The Internet... I love it and I hate it. I love it for the endless information available to me at my fingertips. I love it for the social networks and blogs that keep my in touch with my family and friends. I love it for the ability for me to reach out and find other families dealing with a child with EE. I hate it however for the additional worry it causes me when I read too much into things.

Today a thought wondered into my mind about growth charts and Nathan's weight. His GI doctor, Dr. Williams, wants him to have 34-36oz of EleCare every day. Nathan has been averaging 25 ounces per day. Of course this has me worried. I talked to Dr. Terry about this yesterday and he said that 25 ounces was sufficient. At his doctors appointment yesterday Nathan weighed 20.10 pounds fully dressed. I looked back in his binder where I keep all of his doctor's visit papers and on February 23rd he weight 20.9 pounds, undressed. So technically, in 6 weeks time Nathan has lost a bit of weight. Of course, I am now scouring the web looking for growth charts to see where Nathan is, and of course I have created more worry for myself. I took all of his weights from every well visit and figured the percentiles. I don't like seeing that he is in the 6th percentile right now. :o(

Age / Weight / Percentile
2 months: 10.13 (6th percentile)
4 months: 12.8 (6th percentile)
6 months: 16.8 (28th percentile)
8 months: 18.2 (20th percentile)
12 months: 20.9 (18th percentile)
13 months: 20.10 (6th percentile)

Interestingly enough, I stopped breastfeeding Nathan at 6 months. That is the age he was at his highest percentile, and then it's dropped ever since. I don't think it's a coincidence. Nathan's occasional vomiting began sometime in September, when he was 7 months old, but it didn't hit full force every time he ate something until November.

Well, I can't do anything about this right at the moment, so I'll try to stop worrying. We are meeting with his allergist tomorrow morning, so we are on the right path to find out what he may be able to eat, so that he can start taking in more calories.

3 comments:

  1. stop worrying, this time tomorrow you will know so much more, just don't do what i did and accidentley give him benadryl or zyrtec tonight.... oops. tomorrow will be the first day of the rest of your life, you can begin to wrap your head around all this nonsense and start cooking again! You will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom-B is right. It is all going to be fine. And you are completely normal or at least as normal as I am:) I looked at growth charts obsessively when L was Nathan's age. Check out the WHO's growth charts though, they may help. Apparently American growth charts are a little heavy in compared to the WHO's, which makes sense since the average American is heavier than the rest of the world.

    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

    I've got my fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via mom-b.

    Our son just turned 1 year and has moved UP to the 5th percentile within the last 5 weeks. I totally feel your pain with trying to get Nathan to gain weight. We're hoping someday our little peanut catches up to his brothers.

    ReplyDelete